For the base
4 large cooking apples cut into fairly large chunks
For the Victoria sponge topping
150g self raising flour
150g butter or low fat spread
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Grease a large baking dish (serves about 8)
- Put the apples and Zusto on a medium heat to dissolve the Zusto for about 5 mins, may need to work quite quickly as the apples can turn brown fairly fast!
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together for approx. 2-3 minutes using a hand mixer until the batter is a smooth texture.
- Spoon the batter mixture on top of the apples and layer evenly.
- Bake on 170 C fan, 180 C, gas mark 4, this will take longer to bake than a traditional sponge so check after 30 minutes. Bake until the sponge is set and golden brown on top.