Serves: Makes about 14 scones
225g (8oz) Self-raising flour
1 level tsp Baking powder
50g (2oz) Butter, softened
25g (1oz) Zùsto
50g (2oz) Mixed dried fruit
1 Large egg
A little Milk
You will need 2 baking sheets and a fluted 5cm (2in) cutter.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/gas 7.
2. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
3. Measure the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Zùsto and the dried fruit.
4. Break the egg into a measuring jug and beat, then make up to 130ml with milk. Stir the egg and milk into the flour and mix to a soft but not sticky dough. Add more flour if necessary.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 1cm (½in) thickness. Cut into rounds with a fluted 5cm (2in) cutter and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until pale golden brown. Lift the scones onto a wire rack to cool.
Eat as fresh as possible.