200 grams of Zusto
100 millilitres of Water
90 grams of butter
125 millilitres of whipped cream
½ Teaspoon of salt
- Put the water into a saucepan and bring it to boiling temperature. Add 200g of Zùsto gradually to avoid any lumps. Your Zùsto must be completely covered by the water.
- Heat the mixture until it starts to simmer and gradually changes colour. (Note: make sure you do not stir during this process. The caramel should get a nice full brown colour. Make sure it doesn’t get too dark, because then it is burning and the caramel will get a bitter taste.)
- When you have reached the desired brown colour, add your (cold)butter as quickly as possible. Then, continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the butter is completely dissolved.
- Carefully add the (whipped) cream. Be careful because the mixture can splash by adding a cold liquid! Continue to stir for up to a minute until everything is well mixed.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and add the desired salt to taste. Let your salted caramel cool down before you use it and keep it tightly sealed in the refrigerator.