225g Self-raising flour
2 Teaspoons baking powder
50g Walnut pieces, chopped
8 Whole walnuts to decorate
100g Carrots, coarsely grated
2 Ripe bananas, mashed
150ml Sunflower oil
For the Topping:
250g (9 oz) tub Mascarpone cheese
2-3 Teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Zùsto
1. Lightly grease a 20cm (8 inch) deep round cake tin and like the base with a circle of non-stick baking parchment. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4.
2. Measure all of the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl, stir and mix well until thoroughly blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared cake tin and gently level the surface.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about approx. 50 mins or until the cake is well risen, a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for approx. 10 minutes, turn the cake out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the topping and filling, blend the mascarpone cheese with the vanilla extract and then mix in the Zùsto. Spread evenly between the layers and over the top of the cake. Decorate with whole walnuts.
5. Keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.