PREP: 25 MINS
COOK: 2 HRS, 10 MINS plus cooling
Cuts into 12-15 Slices
1kg Mixed dried fruit (use a mix of raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, cranberries, prunes or figs)
Zest and juice 1 orange
Zest and juice 1 lemon
Sherry, whisky or rum, plus extra for feeding
250g pack Butter, softened
175g Plain flour
100g Ground almond
½ tsp Baking powder
2 tsp Mixed spice
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground cloves
100g Flaked almond
4 Large eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Put 1kg mixed dried fruit, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon, 150ml brandy or other alcohol and 200g Zusto in a large pan set over a medium heat, stir to dissolve if necessary. Once all melted add the softened butter and melt (Zusto does not mix well with butter)
2. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Tip the fruit mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool for 30 mins.
3. Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer of baking parchment, then wrap a double layer of newspaper around the outside – tie with string to secure.
4. Add 175g plain flour, 100g ground almonds, ½ tsp baking powder, 2 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground cloves, 100g flaked almonds, 4 large eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the fruit mixture and stir well, making sure there are no pockets of flour.
5. Tip into your prepared tin, level the top with a spatula and bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hrs.
6. Remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in it with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of your chosen alcohol. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
7. To store, peel off the baking parchment, then wrap well in cling film. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol.
8. Decorate as required and enjoy!