1 tin of Fruit (we used fruit cocktail)
Packet of Sugar free jelly
2 tbsp Sherry
Whipped cream to decorate (optional)
For the Custard
568ml (1 pint) Semi skimmed milk
2 tbsp Custard powder
2 tbsp Zùsto
For the sponge:
100g Butter / flora
100g Self raising flour
½ teaspoon Baking powder
1. Drain the tinned fruit and place the fruit in the bottom of the trifle bowl, keep the juice.
2. Make the sponge, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix for 2-3 minutes. Place into greased or lined tins and bake for 10-12 mins, 190 C / 170 C fan / gas mark 5. Leave to cool completely.
3. Cut the sponge into squares and soak with 2 tablespoons of sherry and 2 tablespoons of the tinned fruit juice.
4. Make the jelly as per the instructions and pour over the fruit and sponge. Leave to set, this takes a few hours or it maybe best to leave in the fridge overnight.
5. Make the custard, mix the custard powder, Zùsto and 100ml of milk together and add to the remainder of the milk and bring to the boil, simmer while constantly stirring until thickened.
6. Pour the custard over the fruit, sponge and jelly. Cool and leave to set, this takes a few hours in the fridge.
7. Decorate with cream if required