These cute little biscuits can be made into all manner of shapes and sizes, and by substituting the sugar in the biscuit recipe it helps keep the calories down without compromising the flavour or the texture.
The little stained glass inserts are made from Zusto syrup and natural colourings which add colour, fun and vibrancy to these kids treats without overloading them with sugar.
This biscuits can be made into all types of creative seasonal shapes like Christmas tree decorations, wedding favours and with a little imagination the possibilities are endless!
Zusto biscuit dough
Unsalted butter – diced 140g
Plain flour 230g
Ground almonds 35g
Organic whole egg x 1- lightly beaten
Zest of x 1 lemon – finely grated
Zest of ½ orange – finely grated
Seed from ½ vanilla pod
Egg white for glazing
Natural colours – as needed
• Preheat the oven to 160c
• These biscuit keep well for 1 week in a sealed biscuit tin
• ALLERGENS: Milk, Nuts, Egg, Cereals containing gluten- wheat
1. Beat the butter with the citrus zests and vanilla seeds until light and aerated
2. Sieve together the Zusto, flour, ground almonds and salt to ensure they are mixed thoroughly
3. Add the dry ingredients into the butter and mix slowly
4. Bring the dough together by slowly streaming in the lightly beaten egg
5. Once the dough has formed, wrap in Clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 1 hour
6. Roll and cut the dough into required shapes with a cut out in the middle for the Zusto stained glass
7. Rest and chill the cut biscuits for approx 15 minutes before baking ( this will help them keep a neat shape when baking)
8. Brush each biscuit very lightly with egg white and leave to dry at room temp for 5 minutes
9. Bake the biscuits at 160c until golden and transfer to a non stick sheet of silicon paper
10. Boil the Zusto syrup to 160c, remove from the heat, add in the colour and glitter
11. Spoon a little of the coloured Zusto syrup into each of the cut out biscuit centres, BEING VERY CAREFUL AS IT IS VERY HOT
12. Leave the Zusto stained glass to set for 20 minutes
13. Then transfer the Zusto stained glass cookies to an air tight container.